Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Promiscuous Collisions [_v1]

Project 2b: Initial Attempts at Grasshopper


This project is my first foray into the world of Grasshopper. After watching some tutuorials, I tried to attempt to create a definition that subdivides a surface and applies it with a morphed geometry. I have used one of the surfaces of my original motion of a cartwheel as a base for this exploration. 

I created a simple lofted geometry in Rhino that I applied to the surface of motion. Using sliders, I was able to control the size of the applied geometry as well as the amounts of divisions within the surface.
exploration of surface manipulation
series of morphed geometry with original surface

While this exercise helped my familiarity with the tool, I quickly realized while working that this does not relate to the concepts of time in space/ space in time that we are examining.  I realized I needed to re-examine the conceptual agenda of my project to get an idea of what I wanted to accomplish with a parametric tool. This cartoon explores my thoughts of what I would like to examine within the study of the motion of a cartwheel. The motion is about both a combination of limbs moving individually to form an overall holistic movement and the irregularity that exists in what seems like a cyclical motion.

My next attempt with Grasshopper is to parametrically control a surface with data points or curves from the surfaces I created that capture the motion of a cartwheel in space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment